What is ECU Remapping?
Most late model vehicles contain an ECU, or Engine Control Unit. Data is collected from sensors within the engine bay; the ECU uses multidimensional performance maps (called lookup tables) to interpret this data, which is then used to adjust the engine actuators. Variables include air/fuel ratio, fuel pressure, idle speed, valve timing, ignition timing, rev limit, and water temperature.
DPC vs Flash Tuning
Until recently, plug-in diesel performance chips (DPCs) were used to enhance vehicle performance. DPCs work by pushing more fuel through and increasing throttle pressure, which boosts power. They are designed to confuse and fool the ECU. However, because no other parameters are taken into account, DPCs can increase engine wear and tear, and installation of a DPC usually results in increased vehicle maintenance. ECU remapping (or flash tuning) has made DPCs virtually obsolete, because it works with rather than against your ECU.
How Does It Work?
Increasing torque means that less throttle is required to achieve the same acceleration. This can both increase power and significantly lower fuel consumption. Taking into account local conditions, loads, and performance requirements, flash tuning upgrades the ECU’s software to ensure that optimal torque is available at all times. Further, any function managed by the ECU can be modified, so a fully-customised tune can be developed for your vehicle, conditions, and preferences.
Working With Your Hardware
Your vehicle’s hardware determines the degree to which ECU remapping will improve your vehicle’s performance. It may not be possible to achieve your desired performance with standard hardware. Prior to performing the tune, our dealers calculate the effect of the upgrade on your clutch, fuel injection system, turbo, diesel particulate filter, oxygen sensors, and other performance-related parts. They then provide you with all the information you require to determine the right balance between performance improvements, safety, and vehicle longevity.
When Should I Consider Flash Tuning?
1. When aftermarket changes are made to your vehicle, such as the addition of a turbocharger or intercooler, conversion to an alternative fuel, or changing of the exhaust system.
2. When your vehicle is exhibiting noticeable acceleration lag or flat spot. ECU remapping virtually eliminates this.
3. When you regularly tow with your vehicle.
4. When you want to reduce fuel consumption.
5. When you want to boost power.
What Makes Velocé Different?
You may have noticed other companies offering flash tuning. Here’s why you should choose Velocé:
1. Unique technology. Velocé dealers are licensed holders of this technology and as such can guarantee outcomes.
2. Genuine ECU remapping, tailored to your requirements. Our tuning files are developed and written locally. A number of
companies simply buy tuning files and reuse them – be wary of anyone offering “overnight programming”.
3. High level of technical service. Our dealers are unique in that they offer both on-site and in-store tuning, with only one visit required.
4. Coverage. We have dealers all over Australia, and are sure to have one near you.
5. Peace of mind. All Velocé ECU re-calibrations come with a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.